July 12, 2011 by RobZ
Savory Broccoli Rabe
Here’s a delicious way to dress up broccoli rabe. Broccoli rabe is a non-heading type of broccoli with long thin leafy stalks that’s topped with small florets. It’s packed with vitamins A, C and K in addition to potassium, iron and calcium. It also contains phytochemicals that fight cancer and improve your overall health.
Here’s what you need:
- 3 Tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 2 bunches broccoli rabe, stems trimmed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, halved
- dash of freshly ground sea salt
- Place a steamer basket over a 3 quart pot, filled with water up to the bottom of the basket. Bring the water to a boil, add the broccoli, cover and steam for 3 minutes. Immediately drop the broccoli into a bowl of ice water. After a few minutes drain the broccoli and set aside.
- In a large skillet warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute until golden. Add the broccoli, olives and salt. Saute for another 5 minutes until tender. Remove from heat, place in serving dish, sprinkle with pine nuts and toss with lemon juice.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 58 calories, 4g fat, 10g carbohydrate, 7g fiber, and 2.5g protein.